Thursday, October 20, 2011

What's in a Name?

I mentioned in my personal play plan that I would like to investigate the meaning of the names in Othello because of previous similarities in names that Shakespeare used to further the meaning and plot of the play.

In Othello all of the men's names ended in the same way, meaning an 'O'. And all the women's names ended with an 'A'. I wanted to know what this meant. In thinking about Othello's standing as an officer and upheld person in society and also a black man among white men, he's got a lot on his shoulders. This man has a lot to live up to, but he's still got to be just like any other man to fit in and be just as good as a white man would. I think that the names help this theme along because Othello's name doesn't stand out. He isn't any different except by what people think of him and what he does, the impressions he makes because of his actions. To us, he isn't anyone special, just another innocent guy. This also helps our understanding when Iago comes along and ruins his life. But wait, Iago is just another guy, too, if we're going off of the same thought here. He isn't special either, except for the horrible things he does. So I guess another theme in this play is that we aren't defined by anything except what our actions and choices are.

Another plot device that this name thing adds to is the fact that this sad story becomes even sadder when Othello and Desdemona don't seem to be missed. The play began in the middle of the story and ended with the story still moving on. The names seem to say that they were just people that didn't stand out in the world and so they won't be missed and aren't really needed. Sad, sad way to think, but that's what it seems to be saying.

3 comments:

  1. This is an interesting way to look at the play. The idea that their story wasn't that important adds to the tragedy in a way that we might not expect. But, I may have to disagree with you about Iago. I've always just seen him as an evil guy. Don't know why he is that way, but he is just pure evil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is an interesting point of view. I like the idea that we are merely defined by our actions instead of Othello being defined by his race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not saying that Iago wasn't evil, though it may sound like that. I'm just saying that on the outside, in appearances, they were all merely men. Iago is defined as evil because of what he chooses to do, not because he was born that way or because he has red eyes and a small, pointy nose (which he may or may not have).

    ReplyDelete