The king is a rhymer! I love it! Rhyming makes it so much easier to read Shakespeare (for me...sometimes). I had trouble understanding Hamlet but the beginning of Love's Labour's Lost was so much fun! The King was rhyming and so were his attendants. Usually those who are on a higher level of authority are those who Shakespeare writes in poetry so this followed the pattern. But there was also this quote, between two of them,
"In reason nothing. Something then in rhyme."
I found it perfect that Shakespeare put this in (he did it on purpose) so it was kind of ironic and it made it funny. All in all I found it very fun to read this first act.
Shakespeare is very deliberate in the way that he uses language. Love's Labour's Lost was supposed to entertain a higher class of viewers than his normal comedic fare, so it makes sense that he's using language in a different, but still funny, way.
ReplyDeleteI love it when Shakespeare starts getting into his higher form of comedy. He's definitely a pro at his craft. I am also a fan of irony and humorous hypocrisy. Like when Hamlet is reciting his speech for the players and Polonius of all people interrupts saying that he's talking for too long :P
ReplyDeleteComedy is what this play is, meaning the word play and irony and sarcastic remarks. These days it's really played up on TV and moving into rudeness even. But maybe we, as humans have always naturally been drawn to wit and related humor.
ReplyDelete