Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Rain of Emotions

As I finished reading Acts four and five of The Tempest I found some very emotional and touching pieces in it. I'll relate through the text:

(act 4 scene 1 lines 84-86)
A contract of true love to celebrate,
And some donation freely to estate
On the blest lovers.


As I read this I just felt so happy! It sort of made Ferdinand and Miranda's love so much more real than perhaps Perdita and Florizel (though it came on just as fast). It reminded me a little bit of the Princess Bride with the whole 'True Love' thing. This is just such a happy line.
The next one:

(act 4 scene 1 lines 156-157)
We are such stuff as dreams are made on.

I just loved this line and Prospero's whole little speech here because he's being so humble-like and just letting a little bit of himself into this story. He's talking so poetically and it is just lovely. I really like the similes and metaphors he's drawing up and how he seems to make a mood of romanticism. Sweet!

And I just have to mention the epilogue performed by Prospero because it was so beautiful. *sigh* I just loved reading it but it also made me feel so sad. I can just imagine Shakespeare performing the part of Prospero and it being so much of his character as a writer of plays and manipulator of characters. And then this little ending to all his plays; it just made me think that he was saying goodbye as a writer, or playwright. And it was so so so wonderful and sad at the same time.

All right, one last time:
I'm Excited To See This Play On Saturday!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see the show too. I like the way this relationship is developing much better than Perdita and Florizel's. Even though Prospero is pulling the strings, it doesn't seem like Miranda and Ferdinand are faking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same thing as I read Prospero's (Shakespeare's) epilogue. It is interesting to see how Shakespeare again breaks that fourth wall and just talks to the audience. But, I think that is the sort of relationship that he wanted with the audience. It seems that he saw himself as a storyteller, whose stories obviously aren't real and everyone knows that, but that doesn't make them any less enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete