Friday, October 7, 2011

Greetings, Othello, the Moor of Venice

When I first looked at this play I wondered: "What is this even about? The name of the play is a name of the main character of the play. That doesn't tell me anything." Then I looked at all the names of the characters in the play and got interested. I loved how in Twelfth Night all the names were themed around certain letters and sounds and it added to the theme of the play. Well, I am very excited to see how all of these similarly ending names end up working into the play.

So, as I was reading the overviews and summaries I realized that I needed to categorize this play. It is a tragedy. Sad...no tragic. I find the actual definition of the word tragic very interesting so as I read and explore this play I may come back to it often.

The plot of Othello seems very intense and involved and perfectly planned out. I'm interested in how it will actually turn out, seeing as it is only five acts. I'm afraid that if I read it too fast I'll miss some of the most important pieces of the story. I'll have to watch for that. But as I see a production or adaptation of it this problem may be overcome. I also like how Shakespeare's stories seem familiar to me though I've never read them or things like them before. I wonder...

I am definitely excited to see a movie of this play because it sounds like such an interesting story that has so much potential. I wonder if Shakespeare was excited by it, too? Finding many film adaptations that I might be able to get my hands on is also a problem because there may be some issues in an adaptation of this play. I'm not sure yet which one I'll take but I'll keep looking.

A few things I'm considering relating Shakespeare to is first of all what I'm learning in my art classes (as I've done previously). There seem to be good comparisons there. Then I hope to maybe connect it to German, seeing as I'm interested in the language and I've got a roommate from there. And last but not least I hope to discuss more of the writing and story because I love writing stories and I love reading fantasy and magic stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment