Saturday, January 28, 2012

Happy Endings and Shakespearian Comedy

I just learned that I like Shakespeare's comedies best of all his plays. I finished the summary of the Merchant of Venice and I think I'm going to like it. Like always, I am completely overwhelmed with excitement to read this play and also to see it.

I am noticing that there is a lot of wit in this play and it brings forward an irony that parallels today's comedy, but in a cleaner and more innocent way. A note on today's comedic attempts. I do not like it. It is sarcastic and witty but so sarcastic to the point of stupidity and rudeness. I believe that the TV we watch today is a problem because it is funny, sadly, and we watch it anyway but it is wrong. We learn from the media we watch how we act and then incorporate that into our daily interactions. This is one problem with our society, in my opinion. I just read an article about evidence that violence in media results in harmful effects on children. I think that the rude humor in TV also has a bad effect on society.
On a happier note I believe that Shakespeare, though he deals with touchy subjects, he uses wit and old-timed insults to prove a point and that doesn't quite have a bad influence on people today. I think that Shakespeare does it in a better way than today's comedy and therefore I praise Shakespeare on a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment