Second Sarah: my sister, actress, cook, attended the Shakespeare festival, (and she's gorgeous). Turns out that she not only went down to Cedar City for the festival but she saw the same performance of The Winter's Tale as we did in class! WOW! That was my reaction when I heard this; and then I thought about how cool it would be to write it all on my blog if I had a wonderful discussion with her. So we discussed The Winter's Tale and how it was produced.
I told her that I thought it was kind of cold, the way the set was set up. I also told her that it felt like Leontes was always yelling and really angry. I didn't like that so much. She told me that she didn't agree. She really liked the production and thought it was really great. I kind of have to trust her and take her word for it because I haven't seen very many productions (compared to her) and even less of those were Shakespeare.
Then she asked me if I had gained my "Shakespeare Ear". She asked me if I had understood all of what was said in the play and what it meant. After I understood what her question was, I told her that no, I had not understood everything in The Winter's Tale. But I also realized that I had gained a small "Shakespeare Ear" over the course of this class. I realized that I had learned a lot since the beginning of class.This also came as a realization while I was rereading Hamlet for my final project. I didn't catch a lot of the deep stuff from Hamlet (here's my first post on Hamlet), it being the first one we read, and rereading it was very enlightening and helped me understand a lot more.
In talking to my sister and my friend, I learned a lot about other people opinions and how different people view the same things differently. I loved being able to have intelligent and informed conversations about interesting topics to both of the participants.
I think exposure is the best way (and maybe the only way) to understand Shakespeare. The more we read and analyze, the more capacity to understand it we gain.
ReplyDelete