Thursday, December 8, 2011

Just a Piece of Paper I

This is just the first part of many many ideas that I've been gathering about Shakespeare and applying what I've been learning in art class to writing and his plays.
I really like to do art. It is a great hobby that I hope I can continue and my classes this semester have taught me SO MUCH about not only art but the world and creative thinking and how to apply everything to everything else and my character and things I can do to improve....the list goes on and on and this Shakespeare class has just helped so much with it.
This is an idea continuation from this post: The Voice Not Heard in it I discussed how the voice of a writer is important.

Education increases awareness (are you aware of this?). For example, if you learn a different language and culture, you can't really have a prejudice and stereotype against them anymore because you recognize them as different rather than foreign. In a writing class you learn the best way to write. One thing you always learn about is voice, or the character of your writing. It can be improved upon, changed, and developed into something that it wasn't before. The more you learn about it, the more you can manipulate it. This concept applies to many things in life. The thought provoking question I have, then, is this: Can we really know about Shakespeare and his personal life (like attitude and personality) through reading his work? If he was such a great writer then he obviously knew how to manipulate voice and many many other writing techniques. The question is: Can we really know?

A theme that comes up in The Tempest happens to be: KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
I already mentioned that the last epilogue in The Tempest felt like Shakespeare's goodbye to the world of theatre and play writing. Well, Shakespeare happens to mirror Prospero by having a lot of power through his knowledge and ability to write. He can control anything and everything the characters do. He can even control the emotions of an audience through the script of his play. He had and still has so much power! Think of all the audiences his writing still influences. How can one man do that? He had knowledge and he used it and so he gained power.

No comments:

Post a Comment