It is absolutely amazing the increasing impact I learn that Shakespeare has had on the world. In my Music 201 class right now we just started a lecture about him which will be finished up in a week. I learned a little more about Shakespeare, because one can always learn more about something, and figured out the reason that my friend doesn't like Romeo and Juliet. She claims that it is the ridiculously stupid actions of two teenage children that ends in tragedy which repulses her from the story, but from what I learned today I would beg a re-evaluation. I was taught that Shakespeare had not yet mastered the language he was writing in, meaning a newer language that had a huge amount of potential, and that Romeo and Juliet was his first great Tragedy. Well, we all know that experiments are never as good as second or even third or fifth attempts, so naturally this story was not his best. But he also stuck firmly to the form, meaning his Iambic Pentameter. That means his writing was not so much naturally as it was weak-strong-weak-strong over and over again. This is quite repelling and lulling. And I believe that my friend would agree that this could be a point of dislike, if even a hidden one.
Moving on, this class is requiring, loosely of course, a reading of the play Hamlet so that we can more recognize Shakespeare and his style of writing. And obviously apply that to our overall understanding of how it changed our culture today. Basically I have to reread Hamlet. I can replace it with a watching of a movie (my professor recommended the one with Mel Gibson) and so I have decided to attempt to fulfill this reading assignment thus. Look forward to a good review of the movie!
No comments:
Post a Comment